In today’s world, knowledge of the English language is becoming a necessity. Today, every person on earth knows at least a few words in English. It is no exaggeration to say that the whole modern world speaks English. Let’s consider what English-speaking countries exist in the world and how many people communicate on it. Approximately 64% of native English speakers in the United States, 16.6% in the UK, 5.3% in Canada, 4.7% in Australia, 1.3 % in South Africa, 1.3% in Ireland, 1.3% in New Zealand, and the remaining 5.5% are distributed worldwide.
English in Asia
There are few native English speakers in Asia, but a large population uses English as a second or third language. India, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, and Singapore recognize English as an official language. India is the most populous state that uses English in an official capacity. It is difficult to establish the exact number of people who can speak English in Asia, because of the large and diverse population. It is estimated that there are 125 million in India, 94 million in Pakistan, and 90 million in the Philippines.
Language of the world
English is the third most widely spoken language in the world, after Chinese and Spanish. 365 million people on earth speak English. And if you add to them those for whom English is the second language, you get an impressive figure of 840 million. It is widely used in at least 10 countries, reflecting British cultural heritage. Therefore, many modern English-speaking countries are former British colonies.
The world of information technology is also based on English. More than 90% of all information in the world is also stored in English. This language is defined by the main language of the Internet. Television and radio broadcasting of the largest companies in the world, covering an audience of 500 million people, is also performed in English. More than 70% of scientific publications are published in English.
English speaking countries in Asia
Interesting facts about the language
There are some interesting facts about the English language that you probably did not know, and now you can surprise your teachers or friends.
So, interesting information about English-speaking countries and the English language:
- What letter do you think most English words begin with? It turns out this is the letter “S”.
- English is the official language in world aviation. All negotiations between pilots and dispatchers on international flights and airports are conducted in English.
- According to the British Council, one billion people in the world are studying English.
- 80% of the world’s electronic information is stored in English.
- The most common words in English are “ the ” and “be”.
- “Good” is the most common English adjective.
- The first English dictionary was published in 1755.
- The word “happy” is used 3 times more often than the word “sad”, so English can be safely called one of the happiest languages.